Friday, August 07, 2009

Pesto Zest-o!

Pesto sauce is I guess the easiest pasta sauce ever come up… Not to mention that most of its ingredients are affordable and nutritious.

Almost a decade ago, my friend Chloe had ordered Pesto for dinner which we thought of sharing because we have eaten dorm food before we met up with our highschool buddies from Ateneo in one resto in Katipunan. I think that was my first encounter with Pesto and I would never forget how much I disliked its taste… talk about buying something, have a taste, then another and then eventually quit on it. The only thing that kept you on to the second forkful of noodles was the thought that the money you will be paying the bill would be totally put to waste. Chloe and I ended up wasting on food that night.

I have avoided pesto for quite sometime. Not until I have tried living healthy with options of fruits and veggies for food. So when deciding on pasta, the popular choice for trying-to-live-on-veggie people like me would be pesto. I don’t know if taste buds mature but I clicked with pesto. Time and time again, when I feel like eating healthy, pesto was my reliable choice.

But the high and irrational price of pasta and pesto for that matter (and everything else) had me buy a blender. First was just for craving of fruit shakes. But 2 nights ago I thought of dropping by the supermarket and dropped in my basket were ingredients for a pesto sauce.

And today, I brought to work some cooking. I brought pesto pasta topped with extra parmesan cheese. I love the fact that finally, I have done something for craving’s worth. I have fulfilled my stomach as well and the did away with the notion that I don’t know how to cook. Best part of that is, I got to save on lunch. =)

For Pesto Sauce, here's how to make one:

Ingredients:
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts or shelled pistachios
1 large clove garlic, mashed
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:
In a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse until minced the basil, pine nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil in a steady stream and process until emulsified. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate, until ready to serve, up to 5 days.

Have a zest with your pesto!

No comments: