Saturday, January 01, 2011

2010 had me Singing hello goodbye (by the Beatles!!!)

I would like to believe that it is never too late to write my traditional end of year blog.  For four years now, I would like to make a recap of the year that was.


Work
Work has been good and cruel all in the same year.  Firstly, I got promoted to Associate Manager and had an increase.  Not much as I expected it but something to be thankful for.

I also got in the Facilities Management School Program of the company and was previleged enough that Frank was my boss and he has good persuasion skills.   Not that I need to have some strings pulled, as my credentials are as qualified as the other candidates, its just that the path I am also optioning is quite opposite to the FM School objective. But all I wanted is to learn and get my gear up in the game so there I was and up to now, strutting to become a future Facility Manager.

I am also handling my future position of Environmental Compliance while juggling work as Frank's Technical Assistant.  Was able to meet most of my targets and quite relieved that before the year end nothing was at pending.  I just hope to be good at it and learn all about the job as it could be a good freelance job someday if I would pursue a career as an Environmental Engineer specializing in Environmental Impact Assessment.

Many people has come and joined the company in 2010.  Sheena came in as Frank's Executive Secretary replacing Ma'am Edna.  Also Admin Assistants like Ria and Maedhey joined departments Environmental Planning and Sustainability Department and Safety Solutions Department Respectively.  More people came in as plant managers both at Water Supply and Wastewater likewise in other departments in Operations.  However, a good friend and colleague, Lea Siy left the company which is a brave act considering she is one of the best performers and in the best position in the company.  Hope I would have her guts as well.

Big changes overwhelmed me in 2010.  Frank's retirement was announced in the middle of the year.  And Sir Ding Carpio was announced to replace Frank.  I was devastated as I was losing a very good boss but later I realized that it is part of the changes that is constantly happening.  Frank may leave but he will forever be a good friend.  With Frank's retirement, I developed to be an events coordinator.  With 3 successful parties celebrating his contributions and bidding him farewell, I surely gained skill and knowledge in through the biggest and grandest parties.

Getaways
2010 had me see the world.  I was able to go to 4 international destinations namely Macau, Hongkong, Singapore and Malaysia.

It was good bonding with my sisses Jiji and Icile and good friend Kat when we hit Macau and Hongkong.  I was able to strut my cold weather clothes as well.  Macau and Hongkong also taught me to maximize time yet not be disappointed if you won't be able to finish the itinerary.  If you're tired, the body has got to rest.

Family bonding to its finest when Mom, my brother and I was able to visit our relatives at Singapore and had a tour of the city country.  It was Mom's and brother's first out of the country so it was also a memorable trip.  Unlike Macau and Hongkong where we followed an itinerary, this time, I relied on the thousand of brochures at the airport. It was a good thing as this trip was so relaxed although tiring too especially if there are a lot of walks.

Malaysia was a trip shared with my sis and Silab batchmate, Chris.  It was a disaster initially because Chris' camera got stolen from her bag at the airport.  But amidst that it was a good vacation as we have really enjoyed seeing places after places in Malaysia.  This time, we relied on the good ol' internet with only just selecting the good and popular sites and just hoping to be back again soon for those we have not visited.

2010 also was a great year going around the country.  Holy week was spent in a road trip with sisses Ellainne and Icile when we went to La Union, Vigan and Pangasinan.  It was a trip to remember as it was Icile's last Philippine vacation.  May, Kat and I was able to witness Pahiyas and had one of my wishlist done...Kat and I joined a tour going to Lucban, Quezon and had a grand time seeing houses decorated with kiping and fruits.  It was really great.  Also in the same month of May,  I was able to hit Nasugbu in a company outing with great colleagues at Manila Water.  We formed a group named "5 or less more than 1" of which are people from departments whose members are of the title.  Because these departments are so small we decided to pull our funds together and have a company outing of our own. It was great bonding too! In July, I was able to hit Baguio when I instantly joined my Taguig friends in a less than a day trip at Baguio.  It was short but fun!  I was back at the sand and water of Boracay in September with my officemate from Taguig.  Was able to also spend time with colleagues assigned at Boracay.  I was able to go and visit my relatives at Cagayan de Oro at the end of November when I went with Sheena when she was scheduled to go home to her province in Bukidnon.  I had a grand time doing white water rafting, hit Macumba for Margarita, slept at the van going to Bukidnon and had a grand tour of CDO-Bukidnon and El Salvador.  I'm really blessed with very generous relatives who gave me a grand vacation.

Also I was back at Bacolod four times this year and all for significant events.  The April 9 long weekend was a great homecoming as my brother scheduled their civil wedding on that same weekend because they know I am coming home.  My end of August weekend was a more fabulous homecoming because on that weekend, my nephew Saph was born and  I was sure glad to be home.  November, I was home for the All Souls Day holiday and was able to hold Saph for the first time.  It was also great to see Ron after the two of us being official.  And my latest vacation of course was this Christmas Season.  It was a significant one because I got to spend time with family, with friends and loved ones.  I also had a grand time at Guintubdan falls and seeing the southern part of Negros when Ron and I had our roadtrip. :)

Family
The family is getting bigger now.  Manong is married to Graze and has now a son, Saph Rafael Angelo.  Amidst the problems we remained strong and intact.  The business is really on the bloom, sometimes it is overwhelming.  Mel has returned home in the middle of the year and decided to continue school at the province.  He was also committed to help mom with the family business.  He was also able to make business on his own with dog breeding and growing and selling mushrooms.  Rex is helping out with mom's business as well.

With me alone in the metro, and more and more low fares from airlines,  mom and Rex frequently visit me here at our home in Manila.  So amidst being lone, I am not lonely.


School
I continuously excel at school as I fulfill a dream of finishing a Masters Degree.  Although it was hard to juggle work with school, I surprise myself semester after semester as I get good grades and finishing tough subjects with flying colors.  Now I'm at my last semester of course work and will be doing my thesis soon!

Financial
I was able to hit the ceiling of our WASSLAI this year.  It was truly a big sacrifice as I need to raise my savings every month to just hit my target for the year.  But it was rewarding especially when I was able to receive my dividends at the end of the year.

Love
I risked it in love this year.  Was able to forgive fully a person that has hurt me and that forgiveness I have nurtured into trust and love.  Ron and I are officially together.  And I am hoping for a healthy relationship that is stronger and full of love.  :)

2010 had me saying hello and goodbye.  I have seen more than the Philippines but continuously discovering our beloved country.  I have said goodbye to colleagues but has said hello to new ones.  Most especially, I have said hello to love.  It was a great year and I was truly blessed.

Now, I'm looking forward to rockin 2011 with more hellos, love and lesser goodbyes.  :)

No comments: