Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hard Times

The problem begins with me.  I hate saying goodbye and I have a hard time with changes and letting go.

Once again people are leaving… me for that matter gets to be left behind.

Last Monday, in the All Manager's Meeting, the president, Gerry Ablaza, announced that my boss, Frank has decided to retire and the new Operations Group Director will be Sir Ding Carpio.

I was stuck in my chair as I heard my boss say that it would be hard for him to leave, not because of work or the place but because of the people…Everyone was in standing ovation when he finished… He was teary eyed.. I on the otherhand, kept my composure as friends were asking me if I have known about this all along…

It took me by surprise of course as the final announcement has dawned on me.  I have an initial hunch that Frank will be retiring soon because of age and maybe he'll just wait for the Technical Service Agreement to be over so I was guessing that he's going back to UK around 2012… and that's it.  I was even envisioning myself preparing to explain to him reasons of leaving the company for good… or why I'm not going to accept the stocks that would be offered to me when the time comes that I get promoted to Associate Manager.  I was prepared that I will leave the company before he does.

Little did I know that there is more to it than his retirement.

Manila Water has decided to end the Technical Service Agreement with United Utilities early and will be effective December 31, 2010. Frank will have to step down from the position (Operations Group Director) and will be a technical adviser to the President and Sir Ding Carpio until Dec 31, 2010.

This was because Mitsubishi challenged Manila Water during the bidding of the UU Australia project.  Mitsubishi pointed out that how could Manila Water ensure its capabilities when in fact it is UU that handles the operations of Manila Water and not Manila Water itself.

So there goes Frank and Tom, due until Decemeber 31, 2010.

I think between the two, Frank is ready to leave..turning 62 this year and I've kept hearing his plans when he'll retire.  Tom on the otherhand is not ready to go or leave the country just yet as he was still processing the adoption for Maya.  And he can't just leave his family and his kid which would make the adoption process even more complicated. 

As per Tom, this issue was being discussed and has known to them since July.  And even before RDA, the former president of Manila Water, left to take the position of Department of Energy Secretary, he was was proposing to Tom that if in case he wants to stay in Manila Water, there is an attractive compensation package for him… For sure it would change their Financial status but at least he could be with his daughter until all the legalities are done.

So after the AMM, it was in the afternoon that Frank went into his office after several meetings.  Just as he entered, I went into his room and just gave him a hug and was not able to help myself and cried like a baby… I was telling him that I was so surprised with the news and I don't want him to leave.  And so he had me sat down and explained the reasons why…

He was I guess prepared for it… he was telling me that he would be there as long as people wants him to be… as you know, people change and as they have no need of you, they give less importance to you… and as you do less for them, they will pay no attention to you… which is a very true nature of people.

He was telling me of his plans after Manila Water…and the first thing that he would do when he comes back to UK is get me a plane ticket going there and I could visit him and he would let me stay in his home while I'm there… of course, I was glad to hear him say that but then I'm not hoping for it and I won't really mind if he won't fulfill it since I understand he won't have much money coming his way unlike before that he is employed.  But I'm thankful for his considerate words and intentions.

And then he filed a leave for Friday and Monday and he was gone again.

No comments: